Nothing beats traveling a long way then slipping your room key through the door to unveil a room that is purely extraordinary. Sure, sometimes it makes sense to stay at a mediocre hotel serving continental stale bagels for a night but I'm a firm believer in that your hotel stay can make or break your vacation. I studied at Les Roches International School of Hotel Management and for a year we had to study everything from guest relations to cooking. Therefore, my recommendations below mean that all these properties got the stamp of approval from all aspects of my stay.
In no particular order, see my favourite hotels I've ever stayed at!
Wickaninnish Inn - Tofino, British Columbia
- Direct access to Chesterman Beach including panoramic ocean or beach views from every guest room
- Features the cutest Canadian "Lookout Library" full of books and dvds for any stormy nights during the winter (Tofino is famous for storm watching)
- Delicious Pacific Northwest cuisine featured at the Pointe Restaurant that has a beautiful viewscape of the Pacific Ocean (you'll hear the waves throughout dinner)
- Experienced the best yoga class of my life here at the Ancient Cedars Spa which overlooking the water and trees
Fairmont Pacific Rim - Vancouver, British Columbia
- Total luxury and sophistication with state of the art technology
- Highlights included a night swim in the outdoor rooftop pool overlooking the water
- Ipads that operated everything in the room and I could even watch an episode of Friends while I was in the shower
- A moment of utter bliss was when the hotel concierge drove me both ways in a fancy sedan to the ferry so I could grab a couple of things at Granville Island
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise - Lake Louise, Alberta
- I've had the pleasure of being an employee and a guest at this romantic chateau
- This hotel is in the most ideal location because it's surrounding by so much natural beauty
- Make sure you save and reserve a gold floor room. You'll feel extra cozy in the exclusive lounge which includes a daily breakfast and hors d'oeuvres
- The best shower of my life was here. You'll feel lavish with Le Labo body products and white marble bathrooms with views of the mystical trees staring back at you
Andaz Wall Street, New York, New York
- Do you like free mini bars? Do you like huge modern spaces? Do you like showers that are the size of a walk in closet? If yes, then this place is for you!
- This property is full of friendly hospitality, modern technology and everything you wish you had during every hotel stay
- The hotel restaurant is actually great for once. Make sure to try the hamburger for some extra energy before tackling the streets of Manhattan
Hotel Kakslauttanen, Finland
- Originally, my dear friend Louise and I saw this hotel on Pinterest as one of those "bucket list destinations". Well it certainly was!
- We stayed in the heated igloo our first night and the log cabin the following two nights.
- The resorts activities include dog sledding, wandering around this majestical area, drinking cocktails with names such as "reindeer piss" and hopefully catching a glimpse of the beautiful Northern Lights
- It's the ultimate travel destination for something completely different, to seriously disconnect from the world and to explore the Arctic circle, in style
Raphael Hotel, Rome
- Located in central Rome, you'll start your stay with Prosecco and light bites before exploring this ancient city
- The rooms itself are a very generous size. Most come with two bathrooms or a terrace. This is the real dolce vita
- Breakfast is divine. You'll order cafe latte and cappuccino's one after another while enjoying your company and seriously relaxing.
- The restaurant attached to this property is where Julia Roberts indulged in her mouth watering spaghetti in Eat, Pray, Love
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, Lake Como
- I mean, if you're going to stalk George Clooney, you might as well be sipping a Negroni by the pool
- This hotel is 10 out of 10. If I could take the whole month of August off every year, this is where I'd spend it
- Large hotel rooms are accompanied with views of Lake Como or the beautiful courtyard
- It's perfectly located so you can casually stroll past the shops and restaurants
- The gardens will make you feel like you've entered paradise
- Lastly, another fantastic breakfast is included and it's served in a room that is so beautiful you'll never want to leave!
The Savoy, London
- Walking into this historic property, you'll be brought to your room while walking on beautiful black and white marbled floors and waved at by friendly staff
- The room is heaven after a long flight. Bathrooms are large, classic but yet modern. My friends are I always say that the sleep we had here was the best sleep we've ever had. The beds are seriously from another world
- Treat yourself to afternoon tea at the Savoy, it's an experience of a lifetime. They definitely know how to treat their guests like you're special
Esbelli Evi Suites, Turkey
- We were fortunate enough to spend the night in the "Fantasy Cave Suite". This is their largest suite with has a master bedroom, living room with a "rabbit hole" sleeping cave, large kitchen, large bathroom with a huge bathtub and walk-in shower and two private garden terraces with panoramic views. We stayed here since we we're going hot air ballooning with "Butterfly Balloons" in Cappadocia
- This property is something completely different. Imagine sleeping the night in a cave made from golden stone
- Breakfast is delicious but the best part, you're facing gorgeous views the whole time!
Little Vumbura, Okavango Delta, Botswana
- Situated on a beautiful island in a secluded inlet in the northern reaches of the Okavango Delta
- Water-based activities provides spectacular and diverse wildlife sightings
- The main camp is a beautiful six-roomed tented camp. A plunge pool, reading area and en-suite facilities provide a lavish setting for guests
DumaTau Camp, Linyanti, Botswana
- DumaTau, means "roar of the lion"
- This luxury tented camp is situated in the private Linyanti Wildlife Reserve that borders the western boundary of Chobe National Park
- It's in the ideal setting to witness elephants and lions
- One of my favourite moments was the family style meals with other guests and stargazing at night
Club Med, Rio Das Pedras, Brazil
- This picturesque resort is located in a tropical rainforest in the heart of Brazil's second largest protected ecological reserve
- The large seafront swimming pool lies next to the open water where guests can participate in water-skiing
- Other activities include everything from archery, beach front massages and hiking
- This is the ultimate destination for a luxury ecological retreat