A roast chicken is one of those dishes that makes you feel at home. It reminds me of when my mom used to make them on Sunday nights. The last dose of relaxation before the week starts to get busy again.
I had a roast chicken and I knew I wanted us to eat it for dinner after work. The trouble is it would have taken 1 1/2 hours in the oven to make after we got home. The work week is chaotic enough that I threw it in our slow cooker and it was all done by 6pm.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 whole yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 turnip, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, chopped
- 2 medium sized potatoes or 1 sweet potato, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 5 fresh thyme springs
- 2 tablespoons of crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon of himalayan sea salt
- Chop vegetables
- Transfer the chicken into slow cooker and then surround ingredients around (ensure that the lemon slices are touching the chicken)
- Place on low for 8 hours
- The chicken will literally fall off the bones so just remove the meat and veggies once cooked.